“The Mandela Effect”

Have you ever been so certain about something that nothing could convince you otherwise that you were correct? Of course you have. Everyone has thoughts like that regarding something they remembered from their past with utter certainty. “I know it was called Berenstein Bears and not Berenstain Bears,” you said. “What is this Berenstain Bears nonsense?” Then you go to trusty Google that knows all and you find your entire worldview has been rocked off its axis. So, you tell yourself that you’ll go find your old childhood books and you either cannot find them or they also reflect this Berenstain Bears phenomenon that you saw on the world wide web.

But you are so certain that when you were younger, it was Berenstein Bears, Oscar Meyer, Tostino’s Pizza Rolls, and there was a movie called “Shazam” starring Sinbad. A lot of folks seem to collectively remember these and many other examples, but can it really be attributed to something as simple as a false memory from our childhoods? There are even more people out there who call this phenomenon the “Mandela Effect” after Nelson Mandela, the former President of South Africa who allegedly died in the 1980s but in actuality lived until December 2013, passing at the age of 95. This has led a lot of conspiracy theorists to believe that we are living in a parallel universe where these events have changed and what we’re remembering is our time from the sibling universe we once lived in.

However, the easiest explanation of this is just the concept behind how faulty and easily manipulated the human memory is. The DRM Paradigm started initially as a study pioneered by James Deese in 1959 and expanded upon Henry L. Roediger III and Kathleen McDermott in 1995. This study was adapted in order to investigate false recognition as well as false recall. In our text “Cognitive Psychology: Applying the Science of the Mind,” this study is explained to us as quite successful in supporting the idea that illusory memories are very common. The subjects for this test were given a list of words that would be used in a test of recall immediately after; this test also had non-presented theme words for each list. According to the results, the false theme word was recalled nearly half the time and also falsely recognized to an equivalent level of the correct recognition.

With enough convincing, people can generally be led to believe almost anything, even if they were informed prior that it could not have been true. Deceiving the mind of a group of individuals is surprisingly easy given the nature of the test of the DRM Paradigm, so in an age of ultra-fast communication it’s not unreasonable to believe that an entire group of people from a similar age group, either born in the late 80s and early 90s would come to agree that everything they remembered from their childhood as the absolute truth instead of this scary new reality we all live in. We’re just as likely to believe in the absurd truth of us having leapt into a parallel universe instead of it just being our faulty memories that are tricking our brains into believing that it used to be Berenstein Bears instead of it having always been Berenstain Bears.

But let’s be real here, we all know it was really Berenstein Bears.

4 thoughts on ““The Mandela Effect”

1. rgallahan

I love the mandela affect but it is so scary how easily we are able to be suggested into believing things. It is scary especially with the social and political climate today. The media is so overwhelming with things we can believe anything if we aren’t careful. The way they produce information can seem so truthful that we can get confused with fact versus speculation. Good article. This is so interesting and I am glad I am not the only one who thinks so.

2. kaygoss

It’s crazy that a large number of people can believe that something was truly one way and then be completely wrong. I think this just shows how important it is to do research on your own and take notes on the things you find.

3. ccragun

The mandela effect has always fascinated me, the way that so many people can believe one thing that isn’t even true. I think you could kind of look at it like a chain reaction, one person says one thing to another person, who then shares that with another person and so on- until a large group of people believe one thing. Without anyone looking into the facts, I think this could happen with almost anything.

4. awaltrip

My friend has been obsessed with this thought for years. I remember the first time she told me about it she used the Berenstain Bears as the question, “What was the name of those bear books we used to read?” I in turn said, “Beren- um well, I suppose it was Berenstein.” She said, “Yes, exactly! See you remember it the way tons of other people do. They are trying to tell us that it was Berenstain all along but they are wrong!” After which I told her, “I didn’t really remember what it was, I knew that it was Beren-, but the rest was a mystery. So, I guessed the more common suffix which is -stein. That’s probably what everyone else is doing to but as soon as they think of it, it is replaced as “that must be it”.”