This Post Doesn’t Matter

This clip is from a stand-up comedy special named “MAKE HAPPY” by a comedian named Bo Burnham. Bo Burnham is a comedian, musician, singer, songwriter, director, rapper, actor, and poet. And the irony in Bo’s performance is that he was given his lavish life due to Youtube, a social media site. He began his performance career as a YouTuber and his videos have been watched more than 192 million times.

Bo’s extremely clever songs, surprising one liners, and razor sharp wit made him one of my favorite comedians to watch. He has a much deeper meaning in his act than comedy. In a way I think he is right. Not to be one of “THOSE” guys, but social media culture can promote something that is absolutely toxic. It does great thing some of the time, but it also gives rise to a growingly superficial and sometimes even cultish population. Everyone is creating these polished images of their own lives that can be impossible to live up to. We as a people demand to be heard, so the market gave us Instagram and Facebook and other sites like them. Day in and day out you can see friends and family post pictures and rants and blogs about these that nobody is really seeing or listening to, but they will continue to do it for likes and recognition from their peers.

There isn’t really a need to hone a craft and practice for hours, because each ‘like’ or ‘thumbs up’ that we get is a mini dopamine spike in our brain. Causing us to perceive that we are appreciated and important. It is a trick that we know is happening but we fall for it every time. Results from a study done by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine showed that the more time young adults spent on social media, the more likely they were to have problems sleeping and report symptoms of depression. Even our attention spans took a hit with things like Vine and TikTok, giving us 6-30 second video clips and calling it comedy.

However, this is not all of us, there are people that realized that lack of shits given. So we use social media as an outlet, as a personal diary, as a way to network. Because it “why not?” Because at the end of the day the only things that are real is our experiences, our loved ones, and us. What is real is you. Despite the media telling us that we should focus on celebrities and people we will never meet.  We are the one’s living our lives, not them. In the words of Bo Burnham, “If you can live your life without an audience, you should do it.”

2 thoughts on “This Post Doesn’t Matter

1. iloaiza

PREACH! That video really resonated with me! (I also loved how short it was too LOL) Personally, I don’t have any social media. I have had some media such as Instagram, Sound Cloud, and Twitter but that was only for a college class. And the second the class was over, I immediately deleted the apps. However, SnapChat was the only form of social media I downloaded due to my own interest. My reasoning for the app was to chat with friends who I don’t see very often. However, it shortly turned into an obsession of watching people’s stories, and posting my own stories 24/7. I would constantly open the app to see who saw my post, what people had to say about it, and I would watch people’s stories the minute they uploaded. I found myself lonely and times jealous after watching my friends’ “fun lives” on their stories.
    After a while I decided I wasn’t going to fall into this trap of social media. I wasn’t going to let it grab hold of me in this way. So I deleted SnapChat and decided that social media would not be apart of my life.

I hated how attached I became to my phone and I never want to fall into that “dream life” prison ever again. Just like the video said, society wants attention. We all desire an audience. However, its super exhausting to live that way all the time. To always be in the loop, to look perfect for society all the time, to have this “perfect” Instagram approved life. Its extremely toxic and unnecessarily addicting. So I approve of this blog 100%. And I will re-emphasize Bo Burnham’s quote (because its so true it, that it needs to be said again!), “If you can live your life without an audience, you should do it.”

2. wharris2

I grew up watching all of Bo burnham’s content as well. I always thought of him as an insightful comedian who found fame by calling out the status quo in a satirical way. In regards to your blog post, the part about not needing to hone your craft due to the constant dopamine spikes from a thumbs up or like really hit home for me. It would be interesting to be able to quantify the amount of people who really hone their craft (sports, music, arts, etc) now compared to fifty years ago. I personally believe their would be a major difference between the two era’s with the older generation having more individuals who pursued their life goals. I am blanking on who the athlete was that said this but it is very similar to the Burnham quote you used, and it said something like “Those who achieve greatness do it for themselves rather than an audience”.