Judgement and Decisions

Decision Making Confidence:

“Sir, What is the secret of your success?” a reporter asked a company president.
“Two words.”
“And, sir, what are they?”
“Good decisions.”
“And how do you make good decisions?”
“One word.”
“And sir, what is that?”
“Experience.”
“And how do you get Experience?”
“Two words.”
“And, sir, what are they?”
“Bad decisions.”
(Anon)

Even when we are young kids, we are eager to make our own decisions. These decision can be relative to eating, playing, homework, or self-care. Kids are easy proof that people make decisions so that they are profitable for themselves. Kids don’t want to eat veggies; they want to eat candy because candy is yummy and it makes them happy! They haven’t learned yet that things like candy should be eaten in moderation.

Teaching kids the value of making decisions is an important stage of growing up. Making decisions is never really easy. A young person that makes poor decisions can find they later effect their life greatly. There are even TV shows that have young ‘rebellious’ kids on to discuss their bad decisions that led them to where there are now and what to do from that point forward. I think maybe some people enjoy watching those shows is because they wouldn’t make those decisions themselves but watching others living with the results of their decisions can make them feels as though they don’t need to make those choices because they can see what would happen if they did.

An interesting thing that tends to happen after making decisions is the thought processes of wondering how life would be different if you didn’t make that decision. Everyone has wondered in one point in their life “what would have happened if I did things the other way.” Sometimes this can be a sad thought but people learn from their mistakes. Things happen and you live and you learn. You have to be happy that you are where you are and how far you have come.

2 thoughts on “Judgement and Decisions

1. lily

The beginning of your blog post is a funny representation of decision making because it is pretty true. It definitely takes experience to make good decisions, but you can usually only gain that experience from making bad decisions. Kids are definitely very curious and eager to make decisions, but I agree that they need the practice in order to make the most beneficial decisions.

2. staylor6

This is a very interesting post. I find it very interesting how it is we learn to make decisions in the ways we are raised. I see in a lot of friends families as well as my own that parents are very careful not to let their children make poor decisions. By limiting their bad decisions it brings up the questions of if they are limiting their learning opportunities. I remember in class how professor Rettinger mentioned how we really only learn from our mistakes because, if we simply answer correctly we do not learn. I think it is important for the parents to take this into account and be aware that this is the case so their children can learn effectively. It is also important to ensure that children are raised in a way that promotes them to ask questions that promote active discussions on topics that they are interested in. Overall, this post was very educational and i think it is important that these topics are discussed.