Improving Memory

There are claims that simple tests can improve your memory. There are also apps you can download on your phone that claim to improve your memory. These apps provide games and challenges to boost your memory and brain function.

Lumosity is a popular app that has a free trial then charges $15 per month to continue. This app claims to improve the user’s memory, problem solving capabilities, attention span, and thinking. Their website says “Just a few minutes a day for 3 brain games — that’s all it takes. Every day, you get a fresh workout to keep you challenged.” For a moment of the day, your memory and cognitive functioning might be excelled but if the person does not do the “challenges” consistently, there might not be much improvement. According to Health Guide, there are 9 steps you can take to improve your memory. These steps include:

– Give your brain a workout
– Don’t skip the physical exercise
– Get your Zs
– Make time for friends
– Keep stress in check
– Have a laugh
– Maintain a brain-boosting diet
– Identify and treat health problems
– Take practical steps to support learning and memory

The difficult part of these steps is doing them consistently. Like exercise, you have to maintain the life-style in order to see improvement. If there is no consistency or you decide not to do the exercises for a couple days then you do the exercises, there won’t be any significant change.

I also watched a TEDx Talk given by record holder Krishan Chahal. Mr. Chahal is a Guinness record holder for memorizing and resiting 43,000 digits of Pi. In this talk, he gives advice on how to improve your memory. Like any skill, it takes practice. He suggests starting in the morning, remember which foot touched the floor first. Throughout the day, remember what movements you made and the next day, try to recall in what pattern did you perform the movements. Mr. Chahal also discusses that in order to memorize what you want to memorize, you have to reprogram your brain to make room for the information. This is a man that has dedicated a lot of his time to resiting the numbers of Pi.

Like we talked about in class, repetition is a key to this. Repeating information that you would like to remember make it easier in the future to recall that information. There is a thought that if you like to chew gum, you can gum a flavor a gum while studying and when you are preparing to take a test, you chew the same flavor of gum and it makes it easier to recall the information. For a real life example, when first going to college, I attended a work-shop on how to successfully study for tests and exams in college. In this work-shop, we discussed what our normal study habits are. Most of us said flash cards, or creating a study guide. Going over questions and vocabulary helps the material stick in your mind.

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-living/how-to-improve-your-memory.htm

https://www.lumosity.com/en/?utm_expid=.utcO_7QpQDiWiCJQMrgnBQ.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dlumosity%26form%3DEDGEAR%26qs%3DPF%26cvid%3D7c6cadbff57b4808a3142f884d3c7dd6%26cc%3DUS%26setlang%3Den-US%26PC%3DDCTS

5 thoughts on “Improving Memory

1. krb8

That is absolutely crazy that that man is able to remember that many digits of Pi! I have trouble remembering what I ate for dinner the night before so I definitely think that I should start trying these things to improve my memory. The hardest thing for this though like you said is consistency, I wish I was able to get to the gym every day like I use to but, college and homework seems to have taken over my life. I like the different things that can help improve your memory, they are all simple to do you just have to make sure you make time for them.

2. angietc5

My bio professor said something similar to this. He said that the smartest guy he knew in school would write his notes three times. Once in class, once right after the class, and once before the exam. This way he saw the information three or more times before he even began to study it. This goes with your statement about repetition being key. The more you see it, the more likely it is to really stick with you, and will be easier to memorize when the time for it comes. That is why notecards, as you said, work so well. You just continue to see it and run it through your head until it’s unforgettable.

3. sspitzer

Wow! Having the ability to memorize and re-site 43,000 digits of Pi is truly incredible! I often struggle to memorize and re-site the 10 digits of my own phone number. However, I will be the first to say that I am one who struggles with consistency. I work at a gym a truly cannot be consistent with working out to improve my own health, and memory. At my job, I see lack of consistency so often, but especially February, March and April. Everyone is so excited to join the gym during the month of January because of their “new year resolution.” Some of these new members use it for about 3-8 weeks then begin to lose consistency. After not coming in the facility for a few days they are likely to not come back in for a few months. These members then wonder why they aren’t seeing the changes/improvements that they originally signed up to accomplish.
    Thanks for sharing this blog, I will definitely have to make it a priority for myself to follow the 9 steps listed in the heath guide!

4. megananderson513

When I have to memorize vocabulary, repetition is definitely the best way for me. The only reason I get through the vocabulary section on my latin tests is because of Quizlet. I know flash card work for some people when it comes to vocabulary for different languages, but Quizlet works best for me because I don’t have to actually buy flashcards and all my vocabulary is available on my phone. I definitely don’t have the time or energy to memorize 43,000 digits of Pi though, so congratulations to Krishan Chahal!

5. kourt21

From what I just read, consistent repetition with other factors like sleep, good physical/mental health, can improve a person’s memory. A lot of these factors aren’t difficult to enact; however, many people find it straining, mostly from the lack of motivation. Many inconsistencies from learning come from a lack of motivation. Students often procrastinate their work and don’t take the time to study every day. I only know this from experience because I often exhibit these same behaviors even when I try to do better. Consistency and time management can be extremely difficult for me, although repetition would definitely improve my memory, I don’t necessarily have motivation.
    – kchiles