Schools Start Too Early

High school students and middle school students not getting enough sleep is pretty common and one of the reasons for that is because school start times are too early. The American Academy of Pediatrics has stated that school should not start for high school or middle school students until 8:30 a.m. or later to give children the opportunity to get the sleep that they need. According to the 2014 School Health Policies and Practice Study, 93% of high schools and 83% of middle schools start before 8:30 a.m. Forty-two out of the fifty states start school before 8:30 and the times that schools started at 8:30 or later varied significantly by state. For kids in middle and high school it is good to get at least 8 to 10 hours of sleep every night. Those that do not get that much sleep every night have a higher risk of being overweight, suffer from depression, less involved in physical activity, poor performance in school and can even lead them to drinking and doing drugs at an early age.

When these teenagers are going through puberty, their sleep schedule can get messed up and they start having shifts in their biological rhythms according to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Therefore they become sleepy later at night so they need to be able to sleep longer in the morning to make up for that shift. They may also have poor sleep habits including using electronics before bed which can also make it difficult to fall asleep. So, with the combinations of these things plus early school times, it is resulting in high school and middle school children not getting enough sleep and it needs to change.

Parents, health care providers and even teachers and other staff can do things to help and try and fix this early school start times so that these children can get the best education that they can.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/school-start-times/index.html

http://thinking.umwblogs.org/wp-admin/post.php?post=2862&action=edit

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .

About krb8

I am a UMW sophomore and I am a psych major. I play soccer and volleyball. My family and friends are the most important things to me. I love pandas and cows! My goal in life is to be the happiest and most successful me I can be :)

1 thought on “Schools Start Too Early

1. emilystoklosa

I agree that schools start to early! My high school started at 7:30 but that meant I had to get up at around 530/6ish to start getting ready and have time to get to school. Between homework and extra activities, I would not be getting to bed until around 11, which did not leave enough time to get an adequate amount of sleep. I think that starting school this year definitely did impact my school performance because if I ever did have a test in my first block, I remember not being able to focus because I was so tired. I know some school districts are trying to fix this problem by having elementary schools start earlier, which I think is a great idea because little kids are up early anyways, so why not send them to school early?