How Can You Improve Your Memory?

pi-1280

Our working memory can hold about 7 numbers at a time. Are people who can remember thousands of numbers geniuses? How is it that people can remember thousands of digits of pi?

Working memory is defined as the storage system in which information is held while that information is being worked on. The holding capacity of working memory is described as “7-plus-or-minus- 2 “ items. This has been tested with a digit-span task. In this task, people are read a series of digits and must repeat them back. The longer the list gets however, the more difficult this becomes without making any errors. Once the list contains more than 7 or 8 digits, this task becomes extremely difficult.

This got me thinking- how is it that people some people can memorize so many more digits at a time than others? Is there a reason that certain people have a greater capacity for remembering a lot of items than others? Is there something different about their brain?

A man named Akira Haraguchi memorized 100,000 digits of pi. He spent 16.5 hours reciting number after number. How is this possible? Haraguchi has said that he is not a child prodigy of any sort. Moreover, when he was a kid, he even had trouble memorizing multiplication tables. His secret to memorizing 100,000 digits of pi is his use of mnemonics. The Mnemonic strategy is a technique designed to improve memory accuracy and make learning easier. This helps memory because it imposes an organization of the digits to be learned. In a study found on page 191 of our textbook, those who used mnemonic systems vastly out performed students who used other memorizing strategies such as verbal rehearsal.

Akira Haraguchi used a certain mnemonic method that involves assigning every digit 0-9 to consonant sounds and then turning this into words by adding vowels. This makes the numbers easier to recall because images are easier to recall than numbers. This method is called the “Major Method”. Here is the system he used:

0 = s, z

1 = t, d

2 = n

3 = m

4 = r

5 = l

6 = j, sh, soft g, soft ch

7 = k, g

8 = f, v

9 = p, b

unassigned = vowels, w, h, y, x

So for example, if you wanted to memorize the numbers 701, you would apply the letter g, s and t to the number, so you can just remember the word “ghost.” Remembering the word or image of a ghost is a lot easier than remembering the numbers 701. This makes recall of the numbers so much easier.

This is great news to everyone because you don’t have to be a genius to be able to remember numbers this way. With practice, anyone could remember thousands of numbers! Over and over, memory depends on making connections among ideas. If you are exposed to certain numbers without giving it any thought, these numbers will be extremely difficult to recall. However, connecting them to preexisting knowledge like words helps us recall this information much easier. Learning mnemonic strategies can be very useful to anyone. The use of mnemonics could help you memorize phone numbers, math formulas, birthdays; the list goes on and on. This is great news for students who need help memorizing information in school, or anyone who wants to improve their memory.

197-memorizing-pi

This article was very good at describing the kind of mnemonic device used to be able to memorize numbers and it also did a good job of making it so that the average individual can use these tricks. However, I wish it had discussed more uses for the mnemonic devices.

Sources:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/03/14/how-to-memorize-a-thousand-digits-of-pi-or-just-about-anything-really/

http://www.tofugu.com/2014/03/14/akira-haraguchi-and-his-method-for-memorizing-100000-digits-of-pi/

2 thoughts on “How Can You Improve Your Memory?

1. allieboe

I find this to be very interesting because I have always used mnemonics to help memorize things. The common examples are PEMDAS or Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally for the order of operations in math and My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas to remember the order of the planets in our solar system. However, I had not thought about how mnemonics could be used to remember numbers in the same way. I feel like if teachers used this same type of mnemonic that Haraguchi used, it would be much easier to remember things such as pi, Avogadro’s number, and other common numbers used in chemistry, physics, and calculus. Hopefully we will see a rise in this use in mnemonics to help kids and teenagers who struggle with math and other related school topics.

2. Sohyun

I appreciate your post about mnemonic strategy. I thought this content is really interesting when I learned in class before and it was one of my list of topic to post in future, too. I didn’t know what is mnemonic method, how to do this. One of mnemonic strategies you said, major method, is really interesting and Akira is also great person to try this. And I figured out I used this when I was memorizing terms or orders of some processing in body to prepare for the test.

I wanted to know more simple functions of mnemonic so I typed “use mnemonics in daily life” and there were interesting sites that we can use or we are already using to remember something. This is one of them, try to look at this site. (url : http://www.self-improvement-advice.org/memory-mnemonics.html)