MEME

Studying the brain is a difficult task. The brain’s sensitive, dense, and complex nature means that researchers are constantly uncovering new structures within the brain, and new functions for each brain lobe. The occipital lobe is no exception to this rule. The occipital lobe is the rearmost lobe of the brain, located in the forebrain. This includes a right and left lobe that interact with one another, each controlling a range of visual functions.

Although we know that the occipital lobe is dedicated to vision, this process is highly complex, and includes a number of separate functions. Those include mapping the visual world, which helps with both spatial reasoning and visual memory. Most vision involves some type of memory, since scanning the visual field requires you to recall that which you saw just a second ago, determining color properties of the items in the visual field, assessing distance, size, and depth, identifying visual stimuli, particularly familiar faces and objects, transmitting visual information to other brain regions so that those brain lobes can encode memories, assign meaning, craft appropriate motor and linguistic responses, and continually respond to information from the surrounding world, receiving raw visual data from perceptual sensors in the eyes’ retina.

Damage to the occipital lobe can include a variety of effects to a person’s mental and physical  way of life. The most obvious effect of damage to the occipital lobe is blindness. Such as epilepsy which is where seizures occur in the occipital lobe which increases vulnerability due to the occipital lobe damage, difficulties with movement and even if you are still able to move, changes in depth perception and vision can lead to inappropriate movements and difficulty navigating the visual field, difficulties perceiving colors, shape, dimension, and size, difficulty recognizing familiar objects or faces, hallucinations, inability to recognize or read written words, inability to detect that an object is moving, difficulty reading or writing; for example, the words may appear to move on the page, difficulty locating objects within the environment, even when you are able to see those objects, difficulties with fine and gross motor skills, as well as balance.

This meme is from the perspective of a naive cognitive psychology student, who takes everything seriously and literally even when people are actually joking around. I wanted it to be from a naive cognitive psychology student’s perspective because in my mind at times I can personally be this student. In my mind of course, not out loud. What i mean is that at certain times I can be listening to a conversation or someone mentioning something they found intriguing and I will pick it apart psychologically. If I was in this situation, happening to be overhearing “Friend 2” and “Friend 1″‘s conversation, I would think about the fact that the occipital lobe is what controls a range of visual functions and then I would think about if you wanna poke your eyes out then just poke your occipital lobe and be done with it. Then I would laugh to myself about how I know that and she probably doesn’t. While to me this meme is very funny to me, it is also a connection to talk about the seriousness of occipital lobe damage and how that in it self is not funny.